Saturday, July 7, 2007

Under my Um-ber-ella... ella... ella... ella... ella... ella... ella... [head explodes]...


I decided to change my template because the last one had too much going on, and I didn't like knowing that a leaflet of incadescent olives might be overshadowing my writing.

This one feels more mature.

I've had the song "Umbrella" stuck in my head for the last 4 days. Well, that's not true - it's been in my head for about 2 weeks; I've been on a mission to remove it for 4 days. On Thursday, Suzy, one of my favorite Robertson Scholars and (coincidentally) my neighbor, was walking into her room when she saw me walking into mine. Our conversation:

Suzy: "Hey Matt!"
Me: "Hey Suzy! What's up?"
Suzy: "Ahh, not a whole lot, just heading in for [can't remember, probably to teach others how to be awesome.]"
Me: "Very nice!"
Suzy: "Yeah! Well see you later! [looks away] under my uuuum-ber-ell-a, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh..."
Me: "GAH!!!"

It's everywhere! Rhianna, where you at? You're in my head, that's where! And I can't get you or your freaking song out of it. Emancipate me with your dashing good looks! I'm writing from the top story of my favorite high-rise coffeeshop, Hideaway Lake. We'll see where this goes.

Meh, it didn't go much of anywhere. I don't meant to whine, but allow me a few lines:

grujgekibhgki35hutik35uhtigubh4ilu5gbw35ktvb3ju5tvb3jyuhgtb
tugqh24i9t875yhiktgbuki5bqglh35uitbh1o8943ujt3oiugheg
i3u4htiq3uthkignkeqjgq3lgtojp;3qo5itkp5yko;kjgml5kngq53kl;njg

Vietnamese. Translation: "My, how horrible it is trying to work in places that lack central air conditioning! The weather outside is comparable to that which you'd find in a rainforest! Ho, ho, ho!"

Alright, with that out of my system, it's time to write a bit more about authoritarianism in Chile. Dr. Smith gave me co-authorship of his next paper, and this case study is one of four that we're using. It's shaping up to be a fascinating article, and I'm thrilled to have my name on it. I'm not getting too excited yet because apparently, you're always an underdog to get one of these things picked up by a major scholarly publication. Yeah, but according to Florence, I was an underdog to make it past week 1 of this trip, so booyah! Did I just say "booyah?" Oy, I need central air conditioning.

No comments: