Monday, July 9, 2007

Southern Comfort


This morning, as I was walking into Diamond Plaza to workout at the 13th story fitness center, I spotted a Korean businessman donning the finest of fine shirts exiting the rear passenger side of a Porsche Carrera. Leather portfolio and briefcase in hand, he moved with an air of confident urgency towards the elevators. He got off at the 7th floor: Korea National Oil, ConocoPhillips, and Cuu Long, the Standard Oils of Southeast Asia. "Damn", I said. "I just hung out with the Korean John Rockefeller. What a baller I am."

About half an hour later, I ran into my favorite Xe Om, who probably makes less than the guy who washes the clothes of the woman who opens the door for our hero's limo driver. He speaks a little English (and by "a little" I mean ten times as much as I speak Vietnamese), but the smile on his face says everything. It's always fun dreaming about becoming Vietnam's next Rockefeller, Carnegie, or Vanderbilt - and believe me, the opportunities are out there - but on the other hand, driving a motorbike around Saigon for 60-70k a day doesn't sound too bad, either.

No comments: