Saturday, July 7, 2007

Mmm... Neocolonialism

A few of us ventured over to Black Cat, the brainchild of a Jewish man from the lower East Side who arrived in Vietnam starving after 14 hours of inedible American Airlines gruel, wanted nothing more than a corned beef sandwich, a dill pickle, and a Dr. Brown's Black Cherry soda, couldn't find any of that, cried hysterically, cursed the day he ever let his wife convince him that "Vietnam would be just as much fun as Vegas", picked himself up, figured that he wasn't the only one craving a taste of Jewish Manhattan, and decided to open up Vietnam's best sandwich shop, serving everything from Smoked Turkey Clubs to Corned Beef Reubens. After meeting the owner, I'm 94% sure that's how it happened. Just to be certain, this place has nothing on LaSpadas, and it never will. But for a city where "chicken salad sandwich" usually means a couple of seared cutlets served over a bed of romaine lettuce and tomato slices, it's more than decent.

Thanh ordered a Reuben (which he loved) and I, a mile-high STACKED pastrami sandwich. Best of all, it was Men's Night, so those of us with penises were treated to 2-for-1 cocktails (show within a show, folks). On the way over there, I took some awesome pictures - once I figure out how to post them on Facebook, I'll spread the love. For the time being, enjoy the ones attached to this article. Hey, kinda looks like the Bellagio, eh? On a completely unrelated note, I've got a high stakes Chinese Poker game waiting for me at table 3, so peace up, A-Town down.

You won't hear me complain about neocolonialism for a while.

Sidenote: I was there the next night. I'm considering going back tonight. Oh snap, it's raining - do they deliver? Yes! Wooooooooooohoo!

1 comment:

Vishwa said...

hey there

i'm studying expat businesses in Bali and perhaps we're looking at similar phenomenon. i am planning to be in Hanoi in early January and was wondering if you would be interested in meeting up. my email is vishwagoohya@gmail.com.